Sunday 17 February 2008

My Funny Valentine's... Day

Thursday was an interesting day here. Actually, this whole week has been a little topsy turvy, especially at work. I've only had 2 normal days of school this week, due to interschool sports, industrial action and the school swimming carnival. So, Thursday was the Strike Day. I have recently rejoined the union, after returning to the classroom, so it's been a few years since I've been out on strike. And for some unfathomable reason, I've never been to the rally. I'm not sure why - it makes no sense to me now. Not much point losing a days pay if you don't get 'counted' per se - it's the media coverage of the rally that gets peoples attention.

Anyway, for whatever reason, it was my first strike rally (although not the first time I had marched on Parliament House - but that's another story). All I can say is Wow. The atmosphere at something like that is really amazing. The adrenalin must have given me energy - I was running all over Vodaphone arena catching up with colleagues from previous schools, and I didn't feel a thing (until the next day, when I could barely walk downstairs *gulp*). Anyway, 10,000 people together, with a common goal, is quite an amazing thing.

10,000 people - and another 600 in the foyer who couldn't fit in - amazing!

The rally ends on the steps of Parliament House...
After the rally, and some lunch, I took some time to wander around the city, as I havent been in town for years, and spent a frustrating hour in Allan's music choosing new audition material. *ugh*. Then it was time to head home on the train, via Museum station.

I just love this image of the shot tower under the glass roof....

That evening, Jason and I drove down to Mornington to watch the sunset on the beach, and have Fish & Chips for dinner. We used to do that years ago, when we were engaged. We weren't sure the weather was going to cooperate, but in the end it was lovely. My new 'go anywhere' digital camera (saves me lugging the SLR around everywhere) didn't cope terribly well with the darkness, so these are a little blurry, but the colours are lovely. What I wouldn't give to be able to get that gradient of colour on a bead...

Mmmm, fresh Fish and Chips on the beach.

The changing colours - a lovely end to a hectic day.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Gorgeous sea pics! And the fish and chips don't look half bad either!