Friday 19 January 2007

One more day....

Well, it turns out we did that Egyptian guy a disservice - the mosque was just around the next corner. What can you do? We got back from Dahab yesterday. The Sinai is an amazing place. The most desolate desert and mountains, with barely any greenery at all, right next to the beautiful blue waters of the red sea. And you can see Saudi Arabia just across the other side, on a clear day (sometimes its too smoggy over there). We had a great time in Dahab, despite some stresses from the tour organisation. We went snorkeling, quad bike riding and horse riding, and ate wonderful food. It was very relaxing, the first chance we have had to slow down for a few days. I am still, however, looking forward immensely to Mauritius next week and the Beachcomber resort. Egypt is fascinating, and beautiful....but I am looking forward to somewhere clean and quiet, with good plumbing! :) We have had to buy a new bag to use as carry-on luggage - we have shopped a bit too much. It will fit in our big cases, but I hate to think how far over the weight limit we would be, LOL On the way out to Dahab we stopped for the night at St Catherine, and the group climbed Mt Sinai. Jason went - and managed to take 616 photos, yep, 616...every second of the sunrise, so I could see it too. :) I decided not to do the climb. The path is about a metre, metre and a half wide, and you walk it in the dark, while camels walk in both directions. On one side, the cliff wall, on the other - a sheer drop. I did not enjoy walking down the mountain from the valley of the kings, so I though I better give this one a miss, as its lots longer, and can also be icy in winter. Jason had a great time, but I know my limitations, so we are sure I did the right thing. We snorkeled at a site called the Blue Hole - an amazing formation - 120m deep 'hole' in the reef, just a few metres off shore. We snorkeled the drop off around it, but the divers go down inside, and there was also a line for free divers - one girl did 36m while we were there (no tanks etc). Apparently they had a major world competition there in '95, with the world champion there...and then it got postponed, or cancelled, because a pod of dolphins came into shore and all the divers went and swam with them instead. :) I know which I'd choose!!! Ok, I better stop rambling and head back to the hotel before it gets dark. Ciao
Dawn at the peak of Mt Sinai....

No comments: