Tuesday 6 January 2009

Fox Glacier

Wow, what an amazing morning. We were so lucky today - we took our Heli-hike onto the glacier, but all of the tours after ours were cancelled due to the weather. We enjoyed our full 3 hours on the ice though, and it was fantastic. Wonderful scenery, a totally different world. A little taste of what it might be like to go to Antarctica, I guess. It was exhausting, and the weather started to close in after a few hours - the mountains disappeared and we flew home through the low clouds, but I am so thankful we got to have that experience - it was awe inspiring for sure. I'm also thankful it was kept down to the planned 3 hours - one group a few weeks ago had to stay on the ice overnight, as the chopper couldn't get back in due to a change in the weather!
I have access to USB ports for my portable hardrive today, so I've managed to upload a few photos - make sure you check the last few posts to see them.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Amazing! It sounds like such a great trip. I'm envious...

Anonymous said...

WOW, you have taken some great photo's!!

Looks like you are having a great time!

Rach